This coconut milk ice cream is one of the recipes you’re not going to want to miss out on. It’s easy to make at home with just 1 key piece of equipment and 2 main ingredients! You can also use your fav toppings to customize the ice cream and make it your own.
How to Make Ice Cream at Home
Literally, any ice cream that you can think of!
The way to ‘construct’ your ice cream is to start off with a heavier whipping cream like coconut milk. If you don’t want to use coconut milk as the base, go ahead and substitute it for heavy cream. Both give similar results as they are quite rich in fat.
The trick that always works is whipping that coconut milk long enough to make sure you get enough of air bubbles in (think 5-10 minutes long). This way your ice cream will have a nice, lighter texture.
You will then want an additional flavoring, such as dulce de leche, caramel or chocolate cream. Gently fold it in with the whipped cream just until it incorporates. Last but not least, think about anything extra ingredients or toppings that you might want to add to combine everything together. This is the fun part so let your creativity do the work!
Equipment Needed to Make Coconut Milk Ice Cream
The key idea behind this recipe is that it’s easy to make and, what’s more important, that you can make it at home without any fancy equipment. All that you’ll need is:
- a knife and a chopping board – to prepare all the toppings that you’ll be adding in;
- an immersion blender (optional) – for blending the raspberries, or you can also crush them with a fork if you don’t have a blender;
- a large bowl and a mixer – you’ll see in the recipe box that it’s optimized for stand mixer but you can just as easily use electric hand mixer and a large bowl;
- a 1L container – make sure that it’s clean and dry and a one that you can freeze; and
- a scoop – to serve the ice cream.
Ideas on How to Make This Ice Cream Your Own
The great thing about having homemade ice cream is being able to add ALL of your favorite extras in. Your imagination is your only limit here, but just to give you a few ideas this is what might go great with frozen treats:
- caramel, dark chocolate, brownie pieces;
- dulce de leche, pretzels, milk chocolate chips; or
- chocolate cream, marshmallow pieces, sour fruit jam (e.g. cherry).
Ingredients in This Coconut Milk Ice Cream Recipe
- Canned Coconut Milk – this is going to be your base ingredient for this recipe. You can sub this for heavy cream.
- Dulce de Leche – it’s going to add flavor to your ice cream.
- Dark & white chocolate – chop and add for that nice crunch.
- Fresh raspberries.
The Best Homemade Coconut Milk Ice Cream Recipe
- 100 g fresh raspberries
- 50 g dark chocolate
- 50 g white chocolate
- 200 ml canned coconut milk
- 400 g dulce de leche
- Prepare a freezing container – wash it and dry it well. Set aside.
- Place raspberries in a jug of an immersion blender. Using the immersion blender, puree the raspberries. A few chunks of raspberries can be left out.
- Chop dark and white chocolate into small chunks and a few bigger pieces.
- Fit a stand mixer with the whisk attachment. Use a large size bowl and pour the coconut milk in. Start mixing on a low speed, gently increasing the speed to maximum. Mix for 5-10 minutes until light, airy and many air bubbles are visible.
- Add dulce de leche and gently fold it in, until well combined.
- Pour half of the mixture into the pre-prepared container, layer with raspberry puree. Using a toothpick gently draw '8' symbols with the raspberry puree. Sprinkle with half of dark and white chocolate, layer the remaining half of the coconut milk mix and top with the remaining chocolate pieces. Close the container and freeze for at least 8 hours before serving.
Did you make this recipe?