It’s apple season! And what’s best than a delicious apple coffee cake with chunks of apples rolled in cinnamon & brown sugar? Add some walnut and maple syrup streusel on top and you can enjoy a delicious, showstopper cake that’s perfect for any fall occasion!
Ingredients in this Bundt Apple Coffee Cake
I love this recipe because it makes for a perfect consistency of the cake with only a few, simple and accessible ingredients!
- Butter – It’s a wonderful transporter of flavor and makes for this dreamy and rich taste of the cake.
- All-purpose flour – you can also sub for other types of flour, but I haven’t tested this recipe using them.
- Sugar – use either white, granulated sugar or brown sugar which can be substituted in 1:1 proportion. You can also combine white & brown sugar in 50/50 proportion.
- Eggs – to help keep the cake together.
- Milk – to make for the texture and consistency.
- Baking powder – to help the cake grow.
- Apple spices
- Maple Syrup
How to Prepare a Bundt Cake Pan Before Baking
To make sure that the cake comes out of the bundt cake pan easily, you’ll need to make sure that you prepare it well before starting to bake.
As a general rule, the bundt cake pan should be greased well with no ‘dry’ spots remaining. You can also take an additional precaution and, once the pan is greased properly, sprinkle it all over with breadcrumbs or semolina. This should make the process of removing the cake from the pan smooth and easy.
Cinnamon & Apple Coffee Cake with Walnut Maple Streusel
For the Apples
- 800 g apples
- 40 g brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground clove
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp allspice
For the Cake
- 200 g unsalted butter
- 500 g all-purpose flour
- 360 g sugar
- 4 eggs (large)
- 220 ml milk
- 10 g baking powder
For the Streusel
- 1 glass pre-made streusel (step 2 of dough instructions below) (220 ml glass capacity)
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 50 g walnuts
For the Apples
- Peel the apples and remove the seeds, cut into small chunks, mix with sugar and spices. Set aside.
For the Dough
- Prepare a of 23 cm / 9 inch diameter bundt cake pan. Brush with margarine carefully so that no 'dry' spots inside remain. Preheat the oven to 180°C / 360F (no fan setting).
- Knead the cold butter with flour and sugar until it starts to resemble a crumble. Measure out a glass and set aside.
- Fit a stand mixer with whisk attachment, mix milk with eggs on medium, slowly increasing to high speed, until fluffy – approx. 2 minutes. Add baking powder and mix on medium speed for 30 seconds. Pour into the flour mixture and mix with a spoon.
For the Streusel
- Chop the walnuts into medium pieces. Place the measured crumble into a bowl, add walnuts and maple syrup. Mix everything with a spoon or spatula.
Filling The Bundt Cake Pan
- Pour half of the dough into the prepared bundt cake pan. Layer with apples and pour the remaining dough on top. Sprinkle the crumble all around the cake. Put into the preheated oven. Bake 45 minutes. After this time, remove the cake from the oven and cool.
- To remove the dough from the bundt cake pan, place the plate on top of the pan, then with a firm and steady movement, while holding the bundt cake pan all the time, flip it over. Take the form off. Serve and enjoy!
Did you make this recipe?