This effortless dark chocolate brownie recipe has it all – the cake is rich, aromatic and perfectly moist. And guess what, the additional bonus is that you can easily make it out of your pantry staples!
There’s so much theory behind brownies – how to make brownies gooey, how to make ones that don’t sink, or when to tap the top to check that they are ready – just to name a few. I’m sure you know exactly what I’m talking about. I felt that it’s the right time to reach for a recipe that checks all of these boxes. More than that, a recipe that gives you a little extra a.k.a. the brownie recipe that always works!
Ingredients in this effortless dark chocolate brownie
This cake calls for basic, pantry staple ingredients and dark chocolate. It’s very moist because it uses wheat flour and more eggs than an average brownie recipe with this flour proportion. Here are all the ingredients that you’ll need:
- Dark chocolate – if you like your brownie very rich, go for 70% cocoa. I prefer mine a bit lighter in flavour so I choose 50% cocoa dark chocolate.
- Unsalted butter
- Eggs – for this recipe, you’ll need 3 of them. I haven’t had a chance to use any egg substitutes so let me know if you give it a try.
- Sugar – if you want to go for a healthier option, you can use brown, unrefined sugar. Muscovado type of sugar is best for brownies thanks to the distinct flavour of molasses which goes well with chocolate. Use the same amount as with white sugar.
- Vanilla extract – you can also use a vanilla sugar which is a substitute of regular vanilla extract.
- Wheat flour – I haven’t tested the recipe with any other flour type, but let me know if you do!
- A pinch of salt – last but not least! This will prevent your brownie from having bland flavour.
How to store brownie
This brownie can be kept at a room temperature for up to 3 days (if it lasts this long!). It should be covered with foil or plastic wrap.
Effortless dark chocolate brownie
- 250 grams dark chocolate (50% or 70% cocoa)
- 150 grams unsalted butter (chilled)
- 3 eggs
- 150 grams sugar
- 2 tablespoons vanilla sugar
- 60 grams flour
- A pinch of salt
- Line a 30cm x 20cm (11inch x 7inch) baking tray with parchment paper. Preheat the oven to 180°C (350F).
- Melt chocolate and butter together in a pot, or using a microwave.
- Whisk eggs, sugar and vanilla sugar together in a large bowl using hand whisk or hand mixer. Add chocolate and butter mix and combine well. Add flour and a pinch of salt. Mix everything together until well combined.
- Pour batter into prepared baking tray. Place in the pre-heated oven and bake 15 minutes. Take out of the oven and let it cool before serving.