A quick, baked oatmeal recipe with cardamom and cinnamon. It’s a perfect idea for an autumn breakfast or a great recipe to make in the evening, so that you can save time the next morning and quickly have it with milk or yoghurt! An effortless & smooth start to your day is guaranteed.
How to Make Baked Oatmeal
There are two key steps for this oatmeal recipe – the oats stage and the fruit stage.
First, the oats stage – in order to make sure that oats aren’t too dry and too bland in flavor, mix them up with some banana, honey and water. They will help keep oats together and will give them a bit of sweetness.
Secondly, the fruit stage – the trick to this recipe is adding spices to the fruit to get a nice, spiced autumn flavor. It combines perfectly with the oats and that way makes for a wonderful fall breakfast idea!
Is Oatmeal Gluten Free?
Oats are gluten free, although they may contain traces of gluten that may come from a mill. Usually the amount of gluten is very low and doesn’t impact healthy grown-ups. This will of course be different to those, who suffer from gluten intolerance.
Other examples of gluten free grains are:
- quinoa – which is also very rich in fiber;
- millet groats – you can find an easy breakfast recipe idea with millet groats here;
- polenta – and more widely products made from corn.
Ingredients in This Oatmeal Recipe
- Plum – this is my selected fruit of choice, but you can very well swap them for pear or apples. They will match this recipe perfectly and you won’t have to change around any of the spices that it calls for!
- Rolled oats – pick your favorite, good quality brand. I also haven’t tested this recipe with instant oats as I believe they could overcook and the oatmeal wouldn’t turn out as good.
- Honey – instead of regular sugar, to get a richer flavor.
- Vanilla extract
- Cinnamon & cardamom – they will add an incredible aroma to the fruit and the entire baked porridge.
- Banana – to help keep the oats together and give them some extra flavor.
Quick Baked Oatmeal with Cardamom
- 350 g plum
- 40 g honey
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp cardamom
- 100 g rolled oats
- 1 ripe banana
- 15 ml water
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350F). Prepare a small 20 cm x 15 cm (8 inch x 6 inch) cake tin.
- Cut plum in half, remove the seed. Then cut into quarters and slice into thin slices. Place all plum in a bowl, add 20 g of honey, vanilla extract, cinnamon and cardamom. Set aside to allow the fruit to let the juices out.
- In a separate bowl, smash banana, add the remaining honey and water and mix everything together. Add rolled oats and combine everything well.
- Layer 200 g of plum at the bottom of the cake tin, then add rolled oats and top with the remaining plum. Pour out any plum juice that has mixed with the spices.
- Place on a medium rack of the pre-heated oven and bake for 25 mins. Take out of the oven and allow to cool gently before serving. When it has cooled you can also cover with a kitchen cloth and serve the next morning.
Did you make this recipe?