Simple and satisfying autumn plum galette with a hint of vanilla, rich in cardamom, cinnamon and honey. It tastes best when it’s served still warm, topped with vanilla ice cream. The pastry is very easy to make and doesn’t require a lot of time to prepare, yet does make an impact when served . Add this recipe to your list of ‘ideas how to wow my guests’!
How to Make Plum Galette Pastry – Tips & Tricks
Galette is one of the most grateful and non-time consuming recipes out there! The galette dough is very easy to make with just a few simple ingredients of flour, butter, sugar and water.
I’m sharing a few simple tips & tricks to help you make sure that the cake is always perfect!
- Use cold ingredients – in this case, cold butter and cold water. The colder, the better!
- Don’t knead the dough for too long – seriously though! I can’t stress this enough. Whether you’re using a stand mixer or kneading the dough with your hands, place all the ingredients in a bowl and mix them just until incorporated. Try to avoid the temptation of kneading for a minute longer ‘just to make sure it’s really combined’. The longer the dough is in contact with your hands, the higher the risk that it’ll become hard after baking. That’s why this recipe is a blessing because you really don’t need to spend long minutes kneading the dough.
- Do not add more flour than what’s stated in the recipe – as you knead the dough, the butter will get warmer and you may find it too sticky. Don’t follow the temptation of adding more butter to help it keep shape when you form it. Which brings me to the next point.
- Chill the pastry before forming a galette – as soon as all the pastry ingredients incorporate, form a bowl, wrap it in a cling film and refrigerate. This will chill the butter in the pastry and will make the dough easier to form.
Ideas for Different Types of Fruit Galette
The galette pastry is very universal. Which makes it a wonderful base for almost any type of fruit that you can think of and any spices that go with that fruit type. Here are some ideas of what fruit galette you can make, using this galette pastry recipe:
- cherry galette – add some cocoa and sugar to the fruit for a richer flavour;
- peach galette – a very summer-y version and a wonderful way to make use of all the peaches when they are in season!
- apple galette – another great idea of a fall recipe, just add some cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg for a real showstopper;
- rhubarb galette – as rhubarb is reach in juice, mix it with a teaspoon of corn starch or potato starch before layering on top of the pastry. The starch will help absorb any excess juice.
Ingredients in This Plum Galette
- Flour – use all purpose, non-rising flour. You can also sub for whole wheat, oat or spelt flour but depending on the flour type the proportions will differ.
- Unsalted butter – this recipe tastes best with a very good quality, unsalted butter. The butter gives the cake a very rich and creamy flavor so I highly recommend splurging on a better quality brand!
- Sugar – white granulated or brown sugar. If you use brown sugar, substitute in 1:1 proportion.
- Salt – just a pinch to make sure that the pastry flavor is nice and clear.
- Water – make sure it’s very cold!
- Plum – use your favorite kind. Cut them in half, remove the seed and then cut in thinner slices that you’ll layer on top of the pastry.
- Honey – to add some sweetness to the fruit.
- Vanilla extract, cinnamon & cardamom – these spices go incredibly well with plum and will add an amazing flavor to this cake.
Effortless & Satisfying Autumn Plum Galette
For the Pastry
- 100 g butter (chilled)
- 160 g flour
- 60 g granulated sugar
- A pinch of salt
- 30 ml water (cold)
For the Fruit Filling
- 500-600 g plum
- 30 ml honey
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tbsp cardamom
- * Thyme leaves (optional)
- Cut the chilled butter into cubes, place in a medium bowl. Add flour, sugar, salt and start kneading the dough. When a streusel starts to form, add water. Knead just until the ingredients incorporate. Form a bowl, cover with cling film and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Wash all the plum, cut them in half and remove the seed. Then, slice the fruit into thinner slices. Place in a large bowl, combine with honey, vanilla extract, cinnamon and cardmom. Gently fold everything together to evenly distribute the spices around all the fruit slices. Set aside.
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C (392F) (no fan). At the mark of 1 hour, take the pastry out of the fridge and place between two sheets of parchment paper. Roll the dough until it forms a circle of approx. 30cm (11inch) diameter. Take off the top layer of parchment paper.
- Spread the fruit in the middle of the pastry, leaving approx 5cm (2inch) empty space around the edges. Sprinkle your hands with flour and gently start folding the sides towards the centre of the circle, forming a 'sleeve' around the fruit.
- Carefully move the galette onto an oven-sized baking tray. Bake the cake on a middle rack for 30-35 minutes, until the sides of the cake are golden.
- Serve warm, with a few scopps of vanilla ice cream. Optionally, decorate with fresh thyme leaves.
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @foods_by_marta on Instagram and hastag #foodsbymarta.